- Products: DNA tests for health and wellness, and personalized supplements.
- Cost: The DNA tests cost between $270 to $950+. Users can choose to include supplements for an additional fee.
- Reports: Health, nutrition, and fitness reports.
- Raw data access: Yes.
- Privacy: PURE Genetic Lifestyle may share anonymized information with third parties.
- Alternatives: SelfDecode is a health-focused DNA test that delivers personalized recommendations based on an analysis of up to 83 million genetic variants.
- The company offers personalized supplements based on genetic results.
- Reports are available in three languages.
- Ships worldwide.
- The tests and supplements are expensive compared to other competitors.
- No raw data file upload.
- Their most comprehensive test only analyzes 110 genetic variants.
PURE Genetic Lifestyle is a DNA testing company founded by Maarten Van Dijk. The company aims to help people optimize their health, and also offers supplements that are tailored to each individual’s genetic profile.
PURE Genetic Lifestyle requires users to order a DNA kit before they can create a personal account. The company requires users to fill out a mandatory questionnaire regarding their height, weight, date of birth, exercise levels, known medical conditions, and more.
Their DNA tests cover the following health topics:
- Weight: Analyzes 8 genes related to weight management.
- Medication: Includes over 20 genetic markers linked to drug response.
- Nutrition: Investigates more than 50 genetic variations related to diet and weight control.
- Vitality: Contains an analysis of metabolic problems, healthy eating, and weight control.
- Health: Includes Medication, Nutrition, and Weight analyses. Examines more than 110 genetic variations.
- Sport: Analyzes over 50 SNPs associated with athletic performance.
- Beauty: Covers genes that are related to aging and other skin characteristics.
They analyze several health conditions, including bone and cardiovascular health, diabetes, hemochromatosis, and more, as seen below.
The company also offers supplements that are tailored to the user’s individual needs. They are:
- PURE DNA Complete: Personalized vitamins that are available with Health, Nutrition, Weight, and Sport analyses. It contains a variety of raw materials selected according to the highest standards.
- PURE DNA Beauty: Personalized skincare products that can be combined with the Beauty Analysis. Includes day and night serums, a lotion, and skincare-specific supplements.
- PURE DNA Weight Control: Personalized weight control pills. It contains a blend of two certified medical products that block the absorption of fat or carbohydrates, depending on the genetic results.
Users can choose to acquire the supplements as a one-time, three-month supply, or as a yearly subscription program in which they receive supplements every three months. For the subscription option, the company offers discount prices for the DNA tests.
PURE Genetic Lifestyle presents their reports on their online platform MY Pure. The company also offers a hardcover copy for an additional cost. The reports are available in English, French, and Dutch.
The Weight Analysis report delivers detailed information about which foods to include or exclude from the diet to achieve optimal weight loss results. It includes an analysis of the genetic predisposition to obesity, response to fat and carbohydrates, and more.
The report analyzes over 1,000 food types and rates them based on the user’s genetic profile. The company also provides a personal diet and fitness program focused on weight loss.
The Medication Analysis report offers information about how the body reacts to over 500 drugs and recommends an ideal dosage for them.
This report presents data about how the body absorbs each drug and possible side effects they may cause. Additionally, the company advises on whether an alternative is recommended for the medication.
Similar to the Weight test, the Nutrition report evaluates over 1,000 foods according to the DNA results. The report displays individual nutrient needs for over 20 vitamins and minerals and gives insights on over 20 metabolic problems.
The Vitality test includes an analysis of health conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, food intolerances, and more. The report presents exercise recommendations and a food list.
Health includes information about the prevention and treatment of more than 35 diseases, including diabetes, hypertension, and thrombosis. The report describes if the risk presented is normal or increased, as seen below.
The Sport Analysis delivers a personalized nutrition and training program. It includes the genetic predisposition to endurance or strength sports, inflammatory response, injury risk, and more.
The Beauty Analysis report covers skin characteristics such as collagen, oxidative stress, and offers information about the biological age.
Keep in mind that PURE Genetic Lifestyle analyzes only 8 to 110 genetic lifestyle per report, possibly leaving out many that can have an impact on your health. This means that you might not receive the most complete results regarding your well-being.
The prices for the DNA tests are listed below.
- Weight ($470)
- Medication ($350)
- Nutrition ($270)
- Vitality ($700)
- Health ($940)
- Sport ($290)
- Beauty ($460)
Users can include a three-month supply of supplements for $226 to $594, depending on the product. The yearly subscription prices range from $135 to $300 per month.
The company offers a hard copy of the report for an additional $106.
PURE Genetic Lifestyle delivers personalized health recommendations. The company states they only assess actionable SNPs related to diet, weight management, and health conditions. More specifically, they only analyze up to 110 SNPs, possibly missing many that can affect health.
The reports provide a food list that is scored based on the user’s genetic results to help them achieve their fitness goals.
The company claims that the reports are double-checked by qualified scientists to ensure that the results and recommendations are accurate.
PURE Genetic Lifestyle claims not to share personal information without consent, except if it has been anonymized or aggregated, or to comply with the law.
They state that personal data and genetic results are stored on different secure servers. The DNA sample is protected by an encrypted number code, and users can choose if they want to show their name in the reports.
The company maintains that the saliva sample and resulting data may be transferred or processed outside of the user’s country of residence.
- SelfDecode delivers natural supplements, diet, and lifestyle suggestions based on your genes that you can implement right away. PURE Genetic Lifestyle offers diet, lifestyle, and supplement recommendations.
- SelfDecode tells you why they make each recommendation so that you can understand the science behind the suggestion. PURE Genetic Lifestyle explains the food list is influenced by over 20 hereditary diseases, but they do not disclose which ones.
- SelfDecode prioritizes recommendations based on their analysis of all the relevant genes instead of one gene at a time (through reports). PURE Genetic Lifestyle’s extensive food list tells users which foods are better for their health based on genetic results.
- SelfDecode takes a holistic approach to give recommendations that are best for your genes AND the health topic. PURE Genetic Lifestyle analyzes different health topics in the reports.
- SelfDecode is the most comprehensive and looks at more genes & SNP. SelfDecode uses AI and machine learning to analyze up to 83 million genetic variants to deliver the best analysis of genetic risks. PURE Genetic Lifestyle analyzes 110 genetic variations to generate the Health Analysis report.
- SelfDecode supports everything with peer-reviewed scientific studies in their research and checks for contradicting information. It is unclear if PURE Genetic Lifestyle provides scientific references in the reports.
- SelfDecode never sells your data or gives it away. PURE Genetic Lifestyle may share anonymized data with third parties.
|SelfDecode||PURE Genetic Lifestyle||Gini Health||
Personalized & holistic health recommendations
|Yes||Yes, but not holistic||No||
Number of genetic variants analyzed
|Up to 83 million genetic variants||110 SNPs||Unknown||
|DNA testing, wellness reports, health recommendations||DNA testing, health, nutrition, and fitness reports, supplements||DNA testing, health and diet reports, supplements||
DNA testing, health and fitness recommendations, personalized vitamin delivery service
Raw data access
|$97 – $389||$270 – $950+||$0 – $140||
$29 – $601+
PURE Genetic Lifestyle does not have many online reviews. Furthermore, the company is not active on social media, and they are not present on the news.
4 DNAtestingchoice reviewers rated the company 4 of 5 stars.
The Get The Gloss blog explains what the Health Analysis report offers with inputs from the founder himself. They like that the company gives insights on health aspects that can be changed to improve health.
SelfDecode: Get personalized diet, lifestyle, and supplement recommendations based on your DNA for less than $100 annually.
PURE Genetic Lifestyle is a DNA testing company that focuses on dietary, supplement, and weight management reports. They also deliver personalized supplements and skincare products that are formulated based on genetic results.
The reports are comprehensive and they deliver specific recommendations such as an extensive list of foods that are scored according to individual needs. This list contains over 1,000 foods, which can make you feel overwhelmed. So, how useful this actually is is still debatable.
While this information can valuable, their products can be very expensive and not provide you with a complete picture of your health. With just one DNA test, SelfDecode analyzes up to 83 million genetic variants to give health recommendations through detailed reports for less than $100 annually. SelfDecode uses cutting-edge AI and machine learning to provide the most accurate genetic risk scores.