- Products: A DNA test for pharmacogenetics.
- Cost: The test and report cost $400.
- Reports: Drug response reports.
- Raw data access: Yes.
- Privacy: Pillcheck claims not to share personal information with third parties, including insurance companies.
- Alternatives: SelfDecode – get personalized health recommendations based on DNA.
- Pillcheck offers personalized medication recommendations.
- The results include a pharmacist opinion letter.
- They include updates to the reports to account for new medication information.
- The company does not assess risks for any health condition.
- The reports provided by the company are technical and can be difficult to understand.
Pillcheck is a service offered by the personalized medicine software company GeneYouIn, established in 2012. Their founder and CSO Ruslan Dorfman has published sixty peer-reviewed papers on Cystic Fibrosis and Pain.
Headquartered in Toronto, Canada, they strive to bring precision medicine to public and private health plans around the world. The company provides an online platform focused on medication management for healthcare providers and patients.
Their tests are performed in Canada in the ISO accredited laboratory Dynacare Lab.
Review of Pillcheck Products & Features
Pillcheck offers pharmacogenetic services that predict how the body will react to commonly prescribed drugs based on the person’s genetic profile. Their DNA test aims to help healthcare providers reduce trial and error by identifying the correct medication and dosage.
The test examines genetic variations in the liver enzymes and other enzymes that affect drug metabolism, transport, and response.
Pillcheck covers 70% of the prescription drugs commonly used, or over 200 drugs. They analyze medications related to heart and mental problems, pain and nausea management, and digestive symptoms. Their service is also recommended for patients who take multiple medications.
The company states they only analyze medications that have established guidelines provided by regulatory and clinical bodies such as Health Canada and the Food and Drugs Administration (FDA).
Pillcheck offers updates to the report to reflect the most up-to-date clinical guidelines. Users can access their data and reports through the online platform.
The results do not account for any environmental influences such as medications taken by the user, diet, lifestyle, and other health conditions. The reports are ready in 2 to 3 weeks.
Review of Pillcheck Reports
Pillcheck delivers a personalized report that predicts drug response based on the individual’s genetic profile. As seen below, the company provides an intuitive, color-coded summary of the results. The drugs that are tested are categorized by the treatment area.
The report then presents the results for each drug that is analyzed. It displays general information about the medication and the genes analyzed. The company also gives personalized treatment recommendations and shares scientific references, as shown in the sample report below.
Additionally, Pillcheck offers a pharmacist letter that contains a summary of the findings and recommendations on drug dosage and medication alterations. This section includes information about the patient’s self-reported medical conditions and which medications they are currently taking, shown below.
The report also provides insights into current and future drug therapies. It analyzes the patient’s current treatment and advises on how to adapt it based on their genetic profile, as seen below.
Pillcheck advises users not to make any medication changes without consulting a healthcare professional first. The reports are written using technical language and it may not be readily understood by those outside the medical field.
Cost of Pillcheck
Pillcheck’s DNA test and reports cost $400. The company states that private insurance plans may cover the costs, but users may need to submit a physician requisition to be eligible for reimbursement.
Their services may be available to people on disability claims through their disability management provider. Healthcare Spending Accounts will provide reimbursement for Pillcheck.
Health Recommendations from Pillcheck
Pillcheck delivers personalized recommendations for drug dosage and usage. The results include information about which medications can be prescribed normally and which require more attention from the healthcare provider.
The company offers a pharmacist opinion letter containing advice on current and future drug therapies. They do not assess disease risks.
Review of Pillcheck Privacy & Data Security
Pillcheck claims not to share personal information with third parties, including insurance companies and employers. They may share aggregated DNA, medication, and diagnostic information with research institutions.
If the user is referred by a healthcare professional and uses their discount code, the company states they will share the report with them. Users can grant access to other healthcare providers through Pillcheck’s platform.
They are compliant with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
The samples are destroyed within 30 days after the report is completed, but the genetic information is stored in the user’s account for any future updates to the reports.
SelfDecode vs Pillcheck
- SelfDecode delivers natural supplements, diet, and lifestyle suggestions based on your genes that you can implement right away. Pillcheck offers medication recommendations.
- SelfDecode tells you why they make each recommendation so that you can understand the science behind the suggestion. Pillcheck explains their recommendations through reports.
- SelfDecode prioritizes recommendations based on their analysis of all the relevant genes instead of one gene at a time (through reports). Pillcheck presents the results in a color-coded format that indicates which medications require increased attention.
- SelfDecode takes a holistic approach to give recommendations that are best for your genes AND the health topic. Pillcheck focuses on drug response analysis.
- SelfDecode has a team of over 60 highly skilled scientists, MDs, PhDs, NDs, and software engineers to make sure they deliver the most accurate and science-based health information. Pillcheck has pharmacists provide opinion letters regarding test results.
- SelfDecode is the most comprehensive and looks at more genes & SNPs. SelfDecode uses AI and machine learning to analyze up to 83 million genetic variants to deliver the best analysis of genetic risks. Pillcheck analyzes 19 genes related to drug response to make their recommendations.
- SelfDecode supports everything with peer-reviewed scientific studies in their research and checks for contradicting information. Pillcheck provides scientific references in their reports.
- SelfDecode never sells your data or gives it away. Pillcheck claims not to share personal information with third parties, including insurance companies.
Personalized & holistic health recommendations
Genes & genetic variants analyzed
|Up to 83 million genetic variants||19 genes||60+ genes||
Up to 35 genes
|DNA testing, wellness reports, health recommendations, lab test analyzer||DNA testing for drug response||DNA testing, cardiovascular, oncology, and pharmacogenomic testing||
DNA testing, psychotropic and mental health reports
Raw data access
|$97 – $389||$400||Not specified||
Depends on insurance coverage
The expert from DNAtestingchoice rated the company 4.5 of 5 stars. They were impressed by the results and say it presents a useful tool for doctors when prescribing medications. However, they found some sections of the reports difficult to understand.
12 customers rated Pillcheck an average of 4.6 of 5 stars. Likewise, some reviewers say the reports are too technical. They commend the company for their detailed reports and the report updates.
General Electric Co. Canada initiated a six-month project with Pillcheck to try their pharmacogenetic services. The pilot program included 10 employees, but the company extended the services to all employees in 2018.
Alternatives to Pillcheck
SelfDecode: A health-based DNA test that offers diet, lifestyle, and supplement recommendations based on your genetic profile.
Pillcheck Review Summary
Pillcheck offers pharmacogenetic services to help healthcare providers with drug prescription and dosage. They deliver a detailed report containing information and personalized recommendations on over 200 common medications.
As it is, the company does not assess risks for health conditions and diseases, and they suggest that patients do not make any medication changes before discussing it with a professional.
While accurate treatment is important for managing health conditions, overall well-being can encompass much more than that. SelfDecode analyzes an average of one million genetic variants per report to deliver personalized health recommendations that can be easily implemented by users who want to improve their quality of life.
- What Is The Best DNA Test For 2021?
- Admera Health Review: What is Pharmacogenomics Testing?
- Genomind Review: Can DNA Testing Help Your Mental Health?