- Products: DNA testing, cancer screening, pharmacogenetics.
- Cost: $225.
- Reports: Hereditary cancer and pharmacogenetics reports (currently not available).
- Raw data access: No.
- Privacy: Kailos Genetics claims to abide by HIPAA rules and only shares de-identified information for research purposes.
- Alternatives: SelfDecode provides personalized diet, lifestyle, and supplement recommendations based on an analysis of up to 83 million genetic variants.
- Can connect users to professional genetic counselors.
- Simple cheek swab DNA test.
- Only available in the US.
- No personalized health recommendations in the reports.
- No raw data uploading.
- Limited number of genes and gene variants analyzed.
About Kailos Genetics
Kailos Genetics was founded in 2010 by CEO Brian Pollock and CSO Troy Moore. They are based in Alabama, USA. Their laboratory is located on the campus of the HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology in Huntsville, Alabama.
They offer products for individuals, employers, and healthcare systems, in addition to laboratory services.
Review of Kailos Genetics Products & Features
Kailos Genetics offers two options for DNA testing: Expedio Hereditary Cancer Test and Inspexion Pharmacogenetic Test.
The Expedio test assesses your risk for the following types of cancers:
- Nervous system
- Soft tissue
This test analyzes 33 genes, all of which Kailos Genetics claims have scientific evidence that supports an increased risk of the types of cancer mentioned above.
Expedio Hereditary Cancer Screening Genes
In order to purchase a DNA test from this company, you are required to input your doctor’s information as well as your own. Kailos Genetics warns that you must receive permission from your doctor before viewing your results.
The Expedio test is only available to those outside the states of New York and Maryland, and who are over 18 years of age. It cannot be purchased outside of the United States.
The Inspexion test is not yet available on the website. It’s said to test 19 genes related to your drug response to medications in the following areas:
- Mental health
- Pain management
Inspection Pharmacogenetic Test Genes
The company does not allow you to upload a raw DNA file to receive the reports. This can be a nuisance for those who already had their DNA tested with another provider.
Review of Kailos Genetics Reports
Kailos Genetics claims that test results are ready two weeks after they receive your sample. They will send you an email notification, after which you can log in to your account and access your results. You can also download a PDF version. Your doctor will receive your results two days before you do.
It’s also worth noting that you will need to receive permission from your doctor before viewing your results. The company makes it clear that you will need to rely on your doctor to understand your results, as the reports do not appear to offer guidance directly to the patient.
There are no sample reports available on their website, so it’s unclear what you will receive from Kailos. The company claims that the Expedio test gives doctors information about genetics that can provide insights into healthcare decisions.
Keep in mind that they do not claim to offer personalized diet, lifestyle, and supplement recommendations you can implement right away to help you optimize your health based on your genetic results.
For the Inspexion test, Kailos Genetics states that the designated physician will receive a report containing your genetic variations and how they can change how you metabolize certain medications.
As with the Expedio report, the pharmacogenetic test relies on your doctor to explain your results to you and provide any additional health insights.
Cost of Kailos Genetics
The Expedio Hereditary Cancer Testing service is priced at $225. Users can purchase it directly from the Kailos Genetics website, but they still need to provide their physician’s information.
The company also offers a limited number of free or reduced-cost hereditary cancer risk testing. People in specific locations and within an age group can get the test for $129. Regardless, you still need to provide your doctor’s information.
They do not provide prices for the Inspexion test.
Health Recommendations from Kailos Genetics
Kailos Genetics does not give health recommendations directly in the reports. On their website, they state you should talk with your healthcare provider so that they can better explain your results to you.
You will also need to receive approval from your doctor just to view your results. This can be a point of concern for those who want to gain control of their health.
Kailos does offer a tool to physicians to help aid medical decisions, but you will not receive actionable insights to help you optimize your health. If this is your goal, you might need to look at other alternatives.
Review of Kailos Genetics Privacy & Data Security
Kailos Genetics claims not to sell user genetic information. The company conducts research and works with public, private, and government partnerships. They may share aggregate or individual-level information with third parties for research purposes with user consent.
The company does provide your designated physician access to your genetic data and reports.
SelfDecode vs Kailos Genetics
- SelfDecode delivers natural supplement, diet, and lifestyle suggestions based on your genes that you can implement right away. Kailos Genetics does not provide health recommendations directly in the reports.
- SelfDecode tells you why they make each recommendation so that you can understand the science behind the suggestion. Kailos Genetics asks you to consult with your doctor so they can explain your results to you.
- SelfDecode prioritizes recommendations based on their analysis of all the relevant genes instead of one gene at a time (through reports). Kailos Genetics does not include recommendations in the reports.
- SelfDecode takes a holistic approach to give recommendations that are best for your genes AND the health topic. Kailos Genetics focuses on identifying genetic variants associated with different types of cancer.
- SelfDecode has a team of over 60 highly skilled scientists, MDs, PhDs, NDs, and software engineers to make sure they deliver the most accurate and science-based health information. According to their website, Kailos Genetics has 8 MDs and PhDs on their team.
- SelfDecode is the most comprehensive and looks at more genes & SNPs (up to 83 million) to deliver the best analysis of genetic risks. Kailos Genetics analyzes 33 genes linked to cancer risks and 19 genes related to drug response.
- SelfDecode supports everything with peer-reviewed scientific studies in their research and checks for contradicting information. Kailos Genetics claims that the genetic variations screened by their test have scientific evidence supporting an increased risk of certain types of cancers.
- SelfDecode never sells your data or gives it away. Kailos Genetics claims to not sell users’ genetic information, but they may share de-identified data for research purposes.
|Kailos Genetics||Myriad Genetics||
|Personalized & holistic health recommendations||
|Genes & gene variants analyzed||
Up to 83 million genetic variants analyzed
|19 to 33 genes||Genes associated with specific conditions||
Depends on the test
DNA testing, wellness reports, research-based health recommendations, lab analysis tool, patient and provider options
|DNA testing, cancer screening, pharmacogenetics reports||Molecular diagnostic tests, women’s health and hereditary cancer reports, pharmacogenomics||
Clinical genetic testing, disease reports, genetic counseling
|Raw data access||
$97 – $396
Kailos Genetics Reviews
There aren’t many Kailos Genetics reviews online. Business Insider published a review about this company, but it is dated from 2015. It discusses the pharmacogenomics test, which is not available on the website.
The reviewer talked about how easy it was to submit their sample, but states they were hoping to learn more about how their genetics interacted with medication. In this aspect, Kailos Genetics fell short in their view.
Alternatives to Kailos Genetics
SelfDecode: The best direct-to-consumer DNA test that gives personalized diet, lifestyle, and supplement recommendations through detailed reports covering over 39 health topics.
Kailos Genetics Review Summary
Kailos Genetics can assist physicians in treating their patients by recommending screening and preventative measures based on their patient’s genetic risks. The test covers different types of cancer, including breast, gastrointestinal, and skin cancers.
The company also plans to offer a pharmacogenetic test, but this is still not available on their website. Kailos does not offer anything beyond this limited scope. Regardless, the reports do not provide direct insights to help you improve your health. You will need to rely on your doctor to interpret your results and learn what steps to take next.
For those who wish to take a more proactive approach to their health, this can be a point of concern. If you’re interested in gaining insights based on your DNA, SelfDecode could be a better option.
By using AI and machine learning, SelfDecode is able to analyze up to 83 million genetic variants to provide more accurate genetic risk scores and personalized health recommendations aimed at improving overall health without the need to ask your doctor for permission. With a SelfDecode membership, you also get access to a lab analysis tool for a complete picture of your health.
For healthcare professionals, SelfDecode offers special memberships options. You can upload DNA and lab results or purchase tests from SelfDecode to receive personalized health recommendations for each of your clients. You can easily build each client a custom health plan based on DNA and labs with a click of a button.
Are you a health practitioner? Book a free strategy call today to see if SelfDecode Pro is the right fit for you and your practice.
- What Is The Best DNA Test Kit? The Ultimate Guide
- Best DNA Test for Health: 6 Things you Need to Know