- Products: A gut biome test and blood analysis.
- Cost: $95 to $198.
- Reports: Gut health and biological age reports.
- Raw data access: No.
- Privacy: Onegevity may share de-identified information for commercial and research purposes.
- Alternatives: SelfDecode delivers personalized health recommendations based on DNA and labs.
- Diet, exercise, and supplement recommendations based on the gut microbiome.
- Users are given an explanation about how each condition analyzed affects gut health.
- The gut biome test is only available in the United States.
- No raw DNA data upload.
Onegevity Health is an artificial intelligence-based personalized health service founded in 2018 by Joel Dudley and Chris Mason. The company is based in New York, USA.
As of February 2021, Onegevity has merged with their previous partner, Thorne Research, and users can no longer purchase tests directly from Onegevity’s website. To get access, you need to visit Thorne’s website. Similarly, customers who already had their microbiome tested with Onegevity will now have to access their results on the Thorne portal.
Review of Onegevity Products & Features
Onegevity offers a gut microbiome test and blood analysis. Users can find these products available on Thorne’s website.
The Gut Health Test test uses Shotgun Whole Metagenomic Sequencing to test the user’s gut biome, which allows them to also identify and measure non-bacterial findings such as viruses, fungi, and human DNA.
To get started with the gut microbiome test, users need to collect a small stool sample. The company then makes dietary, supplement, and exercise recommendations based on these results.
It is recommended that the user retests every 3 to 6 months depending on their lifestyle. The company also suggests a retest 60 to 90 days after diet or supplement routine changes, or if there is a change in gut health or symptoms.
The Biological Age Test analyzes over 50 blood markers to give information about the biological age and organ-specific age scores.
Review of Onegevity Reports
The Gut Health report is ready in 5-6 weeks. Onegevity analyzes the gut biome to give information about inflammation levels, constipation, gut diversity, and other health aspects.
Once the test results are ready, the company will send an email with a secure link for the user to log in to their account and view the results.
Onegevity starts by giving an explanation of the results in the reports. The company explains if the health condition analyzed needs more attention from the user or if the results are ideal. This section of the report contain some general information about the marker analyzed.
Under the written section, the company includes a graphical representation of the results, seen below. Here, the inflammation score is presented on a colored scale bar ranging from minimal to high. Onegevity also includes the bacteria found in the user’s gut that needs to be reduced. Moreover, the report lets users review the recommendations to improve each condition.
In a dedicated section, Onegevity displays the supplement, diet, and exercise recommendations. As seen below, the report explains why they advise supplementation and suggests a Thorne supplement, but the company states that the user is not required to purchase it from Thorne specifically.
The exercise recommendations are focused on improving gut health. The company explains how exercise and the microbiome are connected and gives examples of how different types of exercises can affect the gut. It is unclear whether these suggestions are personalized to the individual.
The Biological Age Test provides information on whether a lab marker is normal or not. This report will not tell you if your results are within their optimal range.
Onegevity does not offer any other health recommendation or insights beyond this limited scope.
Cost of Onegevity
The Gut Health and Biological Age tests cost $198 and $95, respectively.
Health Recommendations from Onegevity
Onegevity delivers diet, exercise, and supplement recommendations that take into account the gut microbiome. The company explains the results and provides suggestions on how to address certain issues.
While they provide advice on exercise, these recommendations are very general and it is unclear if they are tailored to the user. The Biological Age report simply tells users if their results are in their normal range, not accounting for the fact that they might not be in their optimal range.
Review of Onegevity Privacy & Data Security
Onegevity states they are HIPAA compliant. The company claims that insurance companies, employers, and third parties cannot access the test results without user consent.
They state that they may use de-identified data for commercial purposes such as selling it to third parties. They may also utilize anonymous data for scientific research and statistical analysis.
SelfDecode vs Onegevity
- SelfDecode delivers natural supplement, diet, and lifestyle suggestions based on your genes that you can implement right away. Onegevity offers diet, exercise, and supplement recommendations.
- SelfDecode tells you why they make each recommendation so that you can understand the science behind the suggestion. Onegevity does explains their recommendations.
- SelfDecode prioritizes recommendations based on their analysis of all the relevant genes instead of one gene at a time (through reports). Onegevity tells the user which health aspects require more attention.
- SelfDecode takes a holistic approach to give recommendations that are best for your genes AND the health topic. Onegevity gives suggestions based on gut health tests and blood analysis.
- SelfDecode has a team of over 60 highly skilled scientists, MDs, PhDs, NDs, and software engineers to make sure they deliver the most accurate and science-based health information. According to their website, Onegevity has 8 PhDs on their team.
- SelfDecode is the most comprehensive and looks at more genes & SNPs (up to 83 million) and lab markers (over 500) to deliver the best analysis. Onegevity only analyzes the DNA from the microbes present in the gut to make the recommendations.
- SelfDecode supports everything with peer-reviewed scientific studies in their research and checks for contradicting information. Onegevity includes scientific references in the reports.
- SelfDecode never sells your data or gives it away. Onegevity may use de-identified information for commercial purposes.
|Personalized & holistic health recommendations||Yes||Yes, but not holistic||No||
|Products||DNA testing, wellness reports, lab test analyzer, patient and provider options||Gut microbiome testing and reports, blood analysis for biological age||DNA tests and reports for gut health, supplements||Microbiome testing, gut health reports, monthly supplement subscription|
|Genes & lab markers analyzed||Up to 83 million genetic variants and over 500 lab markers||Gut microbiome and 50 lab markers||Gut microbiome||
Raw data access
|Cost (USD)||$97 – $389||$95 – $198||$5 – $219||$99 – $350|
There aren’t many independent Onegevity reviews available. On their product page, 13 customers rated the product 4.7 of 5 stars. One user states that the sample collection can be a little difficult.
Alternatives to Onegevity
SelfDecode: The best health-focused DNA analysis that provides personalized health recommendations through detailed reports on over 25 health topics.
Onegevity Review Summary
Onegevity’s Gut Health report delivers personalized diet, exercise, and supplement recommendations based on test results from the gut biome. The company offers a report containing good information to help one improve their gut health.
Digestive issues can seriously affect the lives of many people, but overall well-being encompasses much more than that. For a more holistic approach to health, an alternative like SelfDecode can offer personalized advice on over 25 health topics, including multiple reports on gut health, such as irritable bowel and gut inflammation.
While Onegevity’s Biological Age Test can analyze more than 50 blood markers to deliver insights on biological age and organ-specific age score, SelfDecode’s Lab Test Analyzer examines over 500 markers to give tailored recommendations to help optimize health. SelfDecode goes beyond merely telling you whether your results are normal by telling you how far your results fall from their optimal rage, and what you can do to improve them.
- Is IBS Genetic? Types, Risks & How To Deal
- Elysium Health Review: Can you Reverse Aging?
- TeloYears Review: Can Telomere Testing Predict Biological Age?