- Products: DNA testing, Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS), Whole Exome Sequencing (WES), health and ancestry reports.
- Cost: 24Genetics’s DNA tests vary from $170 to $2,300, but the company offers reports starting at $57 if the user already has a raw genetic data file.
- Reports: Health, wellness, and ancestry reports.
- Raw data access: Yes.
- Privacy: 24Genetics claims that they do not sell genetic data.
- Alternatives: SelfDecode delivers personalized health reports and recommendations based on DNA.
- 24Genetics offers their services and products worldwide.
- Users can upload preexisting genetic files.
- The company has a wide variety of products and services.
- 24Genetics provides minimal or no health recommendations in their reports.
- If the user chooses to purchase multiple tests and reports, it can become expensive.
- WGS and WES are very costly.
- The company mixes English and Spanish in some sections of the website, which can cause confusion.
24Genetics is a DNA health testing company headquartered in Madrid, Spain. It was founded in 2016 and operates in more than 90 countries. They claim to be the biggest European company that offers direct to consumer wellness and ancestry tests.
Their DNA tests are recognized by the National Center for Biotechnology (NCBI) and they maintain that they offer the most comprehensive product portfolio in the world. 24Genetics was the first European company to offer health and ancestry tests.
24Genetics offers WGS, WES, and DNA tests, and health, wellness, and ancestry reports. The WGS covers 100% of the genome or 3 billion markers and includes two 15-minute genetic counseling consultations.
The WES analyzes 85% of the useful genome or 40 million markers. In both cases, the company includes all reports available and a personal genetic report on the area indicated by the user (gene or disease).
The DNA test analyzes 700,000 genetic markers that include the most important findings from the scientific community. It also examines SNPs that are still undergoing research, so the results can be updated after a report is purchased. The reports are listed below.
- Health analyzes over 200 diseases and genetic predisposition to dozens of medications.
- Pharmacogenomics Plus offers information about genetic predispositions to over 40 drugs, but it is not available in the United States.
- Nutrigenetics helps determine how the body metabolizes certain vitamins and nutrients.
- DNA Sports examines the risk of injury and helps to choose the best training program.
- DNA Skin Care analyzes how genetics influence certain skin characteristics to help determine the best treatments.
- Ancestry compares the genetic data to 24Genetics’ DNA database from over 1,500 regions around the world and gives information about maternal and paternal ancestry.
- Talent and Personality shows how genetics can influence personality.
The results are ready in 3 to 8 weeks, and the reports are sent by email.
24Genetics’ Ancestry report presents maternal and paternal ancestry information, and the DNA results can be used with GEDmatch, a free online tool to find relatives. The report offers a global perspective that shows ancestry per continent, and a more detailed breakdown of percentages per country, as seen below.
The Health report is divided into 5 sections:
- Genetic Health Risk – Genome-Wide Association Study (GWAS): Presents information about risk levels to common conditions.
- Genetic Health Risk – Mutations: Analyzes mutations from an oncological point of view.
- Biomarkers, Biometrics, Traits: Examines genetic predispositions to certain diseases.
- Pharmacogenomics: Analyzes mutations that may influence how the body metabolizes certain medications.
The sample report shown below presents an overview of the results for the trait or condition analyzed.
24Genetics expands on these results to show a brief explanation of the condition, the genes analyzed, and the genetic results, seen below. The company does not provide health recommendations in this report, and they only offer one scientific reference for each condition.
The Nutrigenetics report shows how genes may affect how the body reacts to certain nutrients. It is divided into 5 sections:
- Healthier Diet: Presents genetic predispositions to certain foods and shows what type of diet is best for each user’s genetic profile.
- Vitamins and Minerals: Analyzes genetic markers that affect vitamin and mineral metabolism.
- Metabolic: Shows genetic predisposition to certain biomarker levels, including cholesterol.
- Your Senses: Examines genes that can affect caffeine metabolism and more.
- Your Weight and You: Explains how genes can influence weight loss and diet.
24Genetics presents a summary page with information about nutrient needs, seen below. The report also offers a more detailed explanation of each nutrient, the genes analyzed, and the genetic results.
24Genetics offers minimal or no health recommendations in this report and only provides one external link as a scientific reference.
The other reports that 24Genetics offers are presented similarly to the Health and Nutrigenetics reports.
24Genetics’s Health, Pharmacogenomics Plus, Nutrigenetics, DNA Sports Test, DNA Skin Care Test, and Talent and Personality Test cost $232 each.
The Ancestry DNA Test is priced at $173. The WES and WGS cost $1,160 and $2,300, respectively. The company only displays prices in Euros on their website.
Reports generated based on preexisting genetic files start at $57. Returning customers who had their DNA tested by 24Genetics can upgrade to other reports for a lower price, and the company offers many discount packs. Free shipping is available for Europe and the US.
Whole genome sequencing is far more expensive than other popular DNA test kits on the market that test up to a million SNPs. A test from SelfDecode, for example, will cost you $99 – this is far more affordable than the $2,300 cost of WGS with 24Genetics.
Currently, only so many SNPs have been studied by scientists, so only a small portion of the results from a whole genome sequencing test can provide you with any meaningful information. At the moment, the difference in information between a standard SNP chip test (like one from 23andMe or SelfDecode) and a whole genome sequencing test is negligible.
As more research in genomics is done and databases expand, whole genome sequencing will inevitably become more useful. However, there is no way to know how long it will be before that happens and by the time it does, it is entirely possible that even more advanced and accessible testing than 30x WGS will be available.
At this time, you are getting very little for the significant extra cost required to have whole genome sequencing done. Other DNA tests on the market are more focused on the SNPs that have actionable insights attached to them, so they provide essentially the same result when it comes to health information.
Although they have a wide variety of health and wellness reports and offer WGS, 24Genetics provides minimal or no health recommendations. Furthermore, the company only presents one external link in the additional information section of the report as a reference.
24Genetics is compliant with the European Data Protection Regulation, and they do not sell genetic data. They employ a Data Protection Delegate (DPD) to help with data protection regulation compliance. The DPD is also available to answer any questions related to personal data through letters or email.
24Genetics states that the Spanish Data Protection Agency will be contacted in the case of a security breach, but the company claims not to store genetic information online. They maintain that they only share minimal information required to provide services with trusted third parties.
- SelfDecode delivers natural supplements, diet, and lifestyle suggestions based on your genes that you can implement right away. 24Genetics only offers a few health recommendations in some of their reports.
- SelfDecode tells you why they make each recommendation so that you can understand the science behind the suggestion. 24Genetics only offers one external link as scientific evidence to support their findings.
- SelfDecode prioritizes recommendations based on their analysis of all the relevant genes instead of one gene at a time (through reports). 24Genetics does not prioritize their recommendations.
- SelfDecode takes a holistic approach to give recommendations that are best for your genes AND the health topic. 24Genetics offers separate reports that analyze specific genes.
- SelfDecode has the world’s first and only personalized genetics blog that allows you to get new gene-based recommendations daily. 24Genetics does not have a health blog.
- SelfDecode is the most comprehensive and looks at more genes & SNPs (over 150,000) to deliver the best analysis of genetic risks. 23Genetics offers a DNA test that analyzes 700,000 SNPs, WGS, and WES.
- SelfDecode supports everything with peer-reviewed scientific studies in their research and checks for contradicting information. 24Genetics only offers one external reference.
- SelfDecode never sells your data or gives it away. 24Genetics also claims not to sell genetic data.
Personalized & holistic health recommendations
Personalized blog posts
|DNA testing, wellness reports, health recommendations, patient and provider options||DNA testing, WGS, WES, health, wellness, and ancestry reports||DNA testing, health and wellness reports|
DNA sequencing, health, wellness, and ancestry reports
Raw data access
Yes, for $499
|$97 – $389||$57 – $2,300||$199 – $399|
$145 – $245
Customers are happy with the amount of information provided in the reports, but experts say 24Genetics is more expensive than other competitors.
DNAWeekly – Editor’s Rating of 8 of 10
The reviewer says 24Genetics stands out for their WGS and wide variety of reports, but they are not impressed with their website and say they are more expensive than other DNA testing companies.
Likewise, the reviewer says that the website is dysfunctional, and comments on how some genetic analyses are based on loose correlations found in small studies.
DNAtestingchoice – 11 Customer Average Rating of 4.6 of 5
Customers are impressed with the number of conditions analyzed in the Health report and comment on how the Pharmacogenomics section of the report is very useful.
Amazon – 39 Customer Average Rating of 4.1 of 5
Reviewers say the results are comprehensive and informative, and they are satisfied with the processing time. One customer comments on how they received an email from the company addressing them by a different name, which made them concerned about the accuracy of the results.
SelfDecode: A health-focused DNA analysis that offers personalized health recommendations supported by science to help improve the quality of life. SelfDecode offers a subscription for less than $100 annually, rather than making the customer pay for each report individually.
24Genetics offers a wide variety of DNA health tests and reports, WES, and WGS, and an ancestry report that covers over 1,000 locations worldwide. The company ships their testing kits around the world in addition to offering discounted reports for users who choose to upload their preexisting raw genetic files. However, unless users choose to purchase a promotional pack with multiple reports, the prices are certainly more expensive than many other competitors.
The website does not offer a good browsing experience and only offers prices in Euros. Furthermore, some sections on the website mix English and Spanish, which can cause confusion.
While 24Genetics offers comprehensive DNA analyses, their reports do not present much additional information. For a more affordable option without sacrificing quality, SelfDecode offers detailed health reports and personalized recommendations all supported by scientific evidence.