- Products: DNA testing and a health report
- Cost: $99 to upload your 23andMe data, $375 for the Futura 28 kit
- Reports: My Health Report
- Raw data access: No
- Privacy: Futura Genetics claims not to sell or give any of your information to third parties for any purpose.
- Alternatives: SelfDecode – The best option for health-focused DNA analysis with personalized reports, symptom analysis, and health recommendations.
- Free pickup and delivery included in the test cost
- You can upload raw DNA data for a cheaper report
- The report includes 28 common health issues
- The test kit is only available in the US, Canada, and Europe
- Only accepts 23andMe raw data
About Futura Genetics
Futura Genetics was established by co-founders Auro Pontes and Efi Binder in 2014. Based in Israel, Futura Genetics is a sister company of Vancouver-based Futura Biology, Inc. The company is one of the pioneers in the field of genetic testing for healthcare and lifestyle improvement purposes and seeks to offer a DNA health test that is simple, accessible, and affordable.
Review of Futura Genetics Products & Features
You may order a kit through the company website which will be sent via UPS free of charge. Once received, you will collect your saliva in the tube provided.
Next, you will register your kit online which can be done through your personal account page. It is during the registration step that users can choose what language they want their report in, English or German.
The company uses UPS to come to your door to pick up your sample. You will be emailed with updates every time a sample has been through one of the DNA testing steps, so you can track your sample.
Futura Genetics aims to get results back in a report within four weeks of receiving the sample. They publish the reports online as a PDF file, and you also have the option to request a printed version of your results, free of charge.
Review of Futura Genetics Reports
Results Section: My Disease Risks
A summary table gives an overview of your risks for different conditions, showing your overall risk percentage, the average risk percentage, and your relative genetic risk compared to the average.
A portion of the results summary table
Individual results for each condition are given in this format: risk percentage, the average risk percentage, the name of the condition with commentary beneath (often detailing how you can reduce your risk), and pictograms showing the environmental factors that could affect your risk of development.
Results for melanoma and migraine
In the sample report summary shown above, the risk percentage for age-related macular degeneration was lower than average (4.9% as opposed to 12%). For this condition, the recommendations given are to wear sunglasses that block UV light, and to have your vision examined by a professional regularly.
The pictograms below detail the risk factors. These were to avoid smoking (and passive smoking), maintain a healthy weight, wear sunglasses, control your blood pressure, and eat healthily.
A portion of the Environmental Factors pictogram key
Your overall genetic risk is given as a percentage you could compare to the average risk. For some diseases, you may find that your genetic risk is significantly higher than average, but the actual percentages were in fact very low.
Results Section: About the Diseases
The “About the Diseases” section provides descriptions of the individual diseases listed, as well as symptoms. This section can be useful for helping with early detection, particularly for people with elevated risks of developing certain conditions.
Futura Genetics’ about sections for rheumatoid arthritis and type 1 diabetes are shown below.
The descriptions for rheumatoid arthritis and type 1 diabetes.
Results Section: Scientific Data
The “Scientific Data” section lists all the genetic variations examined in the sample genome. For each condition, they list the genes examined, the SNP ID (precise location in the genome), and the genotype (which version of the genetic variant is present).
A snippet from the Scientific Data table, showing the genes and variants examined for lung cancer and Lupus.
The data in this section could be useful if you seek a genetic counselor to discuss your results with.
The report ended with a “Genetics 101” section, and a glossary of terms.
Cost of Futura Genetics
The cost of the kit, shipping, and analysis is $375. If you upload your 23andMe data, the cost of the report is $99.
Health Recommendations from Futura Genetics
Futura Genetics provides a list of 15 total recommendations. Anywhere from 1 to 8+ of these recommendations may show up as a pictograph under each condition’s test result. There are no scientific studies cited in the report or on the website as the basis for each health suggestion other than their “expert interpretation”.
SelfDecode offers health recommendations based on scientific evidence, with embedded references within their wellness reports. For example, the Chronic Pain and Joint Pain reports deliver personalized recommendations specific to your genes, along with the scientific evidence to back it up.
Review of Futura Genetics Privacy & Data Security
Futura Genetics claims that your information is not shared with anybody outside the laboratory. Furthermore, within the laboratory, they use a barcode system to separate your personal information (like your name or address) from your DNA data. Finally, they store your results in their secured database until you request account deletion.
SelfDecode vs Futura Genetics
- SelfDecode delivers natural supplement, diet, and lifestyle suggestions based on your genes that you can implement right away. Futura Genetics’ health suggestions are also based on analysis of your genome.
- SelfDecode tells you why they make each recommendation so that you can understand the science behind the suggestion. Futura Genetics does not explain the science behind their suggestions.
- SelfDecode prioritizes recommendations based on their analysis of all the relevant genes instead of one gene at a time (through reports). Futura Genetics displays general recommendations for each section and topic.
- SelfDecode takes a holistic approach to give recommendations that are best for your genes AND the health topic. Futura Genetics gives general, rather than holistic, recommendations under each section.
- SelfDecode is the most comprehensive and looks at more genes & gene variants (up to 83 million) to deliver the best analysis of genetic risks. Futura Genetics looks at genes that relate to the 28 conditions they report on.
- SelfDecode supports everything with peer-reviewed scientific studies in their research and checks for contradicting information. Futura Genetics does not list scientific studies in their reports.
- SelfDecode never sells your data or gives it away. Futura Genetics claims not to sell or give any of your information to any third parties for any purposes.
|Personalized & holistic health recommendations||
|Personalized blog posts||
DNA testing, wellness reports, research-based personalized blog posts, health recommendations, patient and provider options
|DNA testing, health report||DNA analysis, basic and limited health recommendations||
WGS/WES, health and fitness reporting, genetic health risks
|Raw data access||
$97 – $389
|$99 – $375||$0 (limited) – $85 per report||
Futura Genetics Reviews
Customer reviews on DNAtestingchoice gave it an average 4.5/5 star rating, from 41 reviews. Many reviewers praised the service’s ease of use and were impressed by the information given in the reports.
The reviewer on top10dnatests.com gave it an average 8.2/10 rating, while 6 users on their site rated it 3 out of 5 stars. Some users complained about a problem with shipping, while others were impressed by the overall service.
Reviewers on Facebook gave it a 5/5 star rating from 8 reviews. Those users that left a comment were impressed with the report itself and were happy with the ease of ordering the kit.
Alternatives to Futura Genetics
SelfDecode: The best option for health-focused DNA analysis with personalized reports and recommendations to improve your quality of life.
Futura Genetics Review Summary
Using state-of-the-art technology and Genorama Genotype Software, Futura Genetics’ DNA test reveals your likelihood of developing 28 conditions. This information could be life-saving and worthy of your investment – but is it the best option on the market?
Futura Genetics ships its tests to several countries and requires little action on your end. Plus, they take care of all the shipping details. The only steps you’ll need to take are ordering a kit, spitting into a tube, and scheduling a courier on their website to pick up your sample.
If this simplified, no-nonsense approach to DNA testing appeals to you, then Futura Genetics could be worth the investment. But remember, once you get your results, there’s nothing more that Futura Genetics has to offer. If you want more information or direction for what to do with your results, other services might be more up your alley.
An alternative such as SelfDecode provides you with cost-effective, science-backed, and comprehensive holistic health reports based on your DNA in addition to a personalized genetics blog to help you take control of your health. With SelfDecode, you’ll also have access to other tools such as Lab Test Analyzer for insights on your lab markers for a more complete picture of your health, all for less than $100 annually.