- Products: DNA testing.
- Cost: $99 to $498.
- Reports: Relationship, health, fitness, nutrition, trait, and ancestry reports.
- Raw data access: Genovate does not make any statement regarding raw data access.
- Privacy: Genovate claims not to share personal information with unaffiliated third parties.
- Alternatives: SelfDecode delivers personalized health recommendations with just one DNA test.
- The company offers a wide variety of DNA tests.
- Ships worldwide.
- Users need to take multiple DNA tests if they wish to be tested for other conditions.
- The DNA tests are expensive.
- No raw data uploading.
- Does not offer personalized health recommendations.
According to their website, Genovate is a DNA testing company founded by Ph.D. scientists guided by an evidence-based approach. However, there are no information available about the founders.
The company claims to be one of the first laboratories to implement a buccal swab DNA collection method in routine casework. Their laboratory Genetrack boasts over 500 facilities across the United States and claims to process over 120,000 cases annually.
Review of Genovate Products & Features
Genovate has DNA tests for health, wellness, ancestry, and biological relationships. The company offers a mouth swab for sample collection. As seen in the screenshot below, their genetic tests are divided into 5 categories.
The Relationship tests help users determine the biological relationship between two or more people. They include paternity and maternity tests, and more.
The Diet & Fitness tests deliver information about fitness, nutrition, and food sensitivities. The company also offers the DNA Weight Loss Test that includes information on your weight.
The Health & Disease category includes tests for several health conditions, such as Alzheimer’s Disease, cardiovascular health, and others.
Genovate’s Ancestry tests covers both maternal and paternal ancestry tests, which can be purchased separately or in a combo.
The Behavior & Traits tests give insights into how DNA influences your personality. For example, the Warrior Gene Test explains if the user carries a genetic variant that makes them aggressive and business savvy.
The genetic tests offered by Genovate examine each health condition and trait separately. The samples submitted by the user are analyzed specifically for the test purchased. If you wish to get reports on different conditions, you’ll need to purchase separate DNA testing kits, submit multiple samples, and wait for your sample to be processed by the lab.
As an example of what each test covers, the Cardiovascular Health Test analyzes genetic variants linked to lipid levels such as cholesterol and triglycerides. The Nutrition Test investigates the genes associated with the absorption and usage of certain vitamins and minerals.
Review of Genovate Reports
Genovate does not provide sample reports on their website, so you might be left unsure about what you’ll receive with your reports. Users can access their results on their online account or request a copy via mail or email.
As an example of the health topics covered by the reports, the screenshot below displays the traits analyzed by the DNA Fitness Test. The company provides information related to your overall athletic performance.
According to their website, the fitness report includes insights on which exercise is most beneficial to the user’s muscle type. It provides information on the risk of soft tissue injury and the user’s pain tolerance. Additionally, the company offers access to the Genofit app, which allows you to set and track your fitness goals.
The DNA Weight Loss Test informs the user about their sensitivity to starch, motivation to exercise, tendency to have high blood sugar. Genovate states that the information provided in this report can be used to optimize diet and exercise for weight loss.
Overall, the comapany does not offer guidance to help you manage your genetic predispositions, so if you’re interested in health recommendations based on your DNA, you might need to look elsewhere.
Cost of Genovate
Genovate prices vary depending on which test you order. Price ranges are the following for each test category:
- Relationship: $99 to $150
- Health & Disease: $195 to $349
- Diet & Fitness: $149 to $249
The company offers a bundle pack that includes the Nutrition, Weight Loss, and Fitness tests for $498. The Behavior & Traits tests cost $149 each, and the Ancestry tests are on the market for $119.
Health Recommendations from Genovate
Since Genovate does not offer a sample report on their website, it is unclear the extent of the information provided by them. The company states that their DNA tests can help people modify their lifestyle to improve their health, but does not offer recommendations to help you address your issues.
The Fitness, Nutrition, and Weight Loss tests include access to the Genofit app, which allows you to set and track goals.
Review of Genovate Privacy & Data Security
Genovate claims not to share, rent, or sell collected data to any unaffiliated third party. They state that personal information will only be used to carry out their services.
The company declares that they apply security procedures to ensure that the data is safe from unauthorized access, both online and physically.
SelfDecode vs Genovate
- SelfDecode delivers natural supplements, diet, and lifestyle suggestions based on your genes that you can implement right away. Genovate does not offer health recommendations in the reports.
- SelfDecode tells you why they make each recommendation so that you can understand the science behind the suggestion. Genovate explains which genes are analyzed in each report.
- SelfDecode prioritizes recommendations based on their analysis of all the relevant genes instead of one gene at a time (through reports). It is unclear how Genovate presents their reports.
- SelfDecode takes a holistic approach to give recommendations that are best for your genes AND the health topic. Genovate requires you to take separate DNA tests for different health issues.
- SelfDecode has the world’s first and only personalized genetics blog that allows you to get new gene-based recommendations daily. Genovate does not have a health blog.
- SelfDecode is the most comprehensive and looks at more genes & SNPs (up to 83 million) to deliver the best analysis of genetic risks. Genovate lists which genes each test covers on their website.
- SelfDecode supports everything with peer-reviewed scientific studies in their research and checks for contradicting information. Genovate states that their genetic tests are evidence-based.
- SelfDecode never sells your data or gives it away. Genovate claims not to share personal information with unaffiliated third parties.
|Personalized & holistic health recommendations||Yes||No||No||
Personalized blog posts
|Products||DNA testing, wellness reports, health recommendations, patient and provider options||DNA testing, health, wellness, ancestry, and relationship reports||DNA testing, health and ancestry reports||
DNA testing, ancestry, wellness, health, and relationship reports
Raw data access
|Cost (USD)||$97 – $387||$99 – $498||$99 – $499||
$60 – $1,495
Despite the many years in business, online reviews for Genovate are limited regarding the health and wellness tests. 4 Facebook customers rated the company 1 of 5 stars. Users complain about delayed results and say that customer support needs improvement.
In 2020, the company announced that they would release a DNA COVID-19 Susceptibility test to help determine if the person has an increased risk of respiratory complications from the virus.
Alternatives to Genovate
SelfDecode: Get personalized diet, lifestyle, and supplement recommendations based on up to 83 million genetic variants.
Genovate Review Summary
Genovate offers DNA tests to confirm biological relationships as well as health and wellness tests. They state that their laboratory is one of the largest genetic testing facilities in North America and has been in business for over 20 years.
With over 500 laboratory facilities across the United States, the company provides convenient DNA tests for various health conditions and traits. However, each test requires a separate sample collection. For people who wish to get multiple tests, it can be quite expensive. Plus, Genovate does not offer personalized recommendations to help you address your genetic predispositions.
If you wish for a more holistic approach to health, SelfDecode might be a better option. The SelfDecode Weight DNA Wellness Report analyzes over 455,000 genetic variants related to weight and gives you personalized recommendations based on your DNA. Not only that, with SelfDecode, you’ll get access to over 40 DNA wellness reports to help you optimize your overall health.
- GenoVive Review: Is DNA the Key to Your Diet and Exercise?
- Genex Diagnostics Review: Affordable At-Home DNA Testing?