- Products: DNA analysis and variant reports.
- Cost: Reports range from $10 to $30.
- Reports: Genetic variant reports.
- Raw data access: The company does not offer DNA tests and requires customers to have access to preexisting raw DNA files.
- Privacy: MTHFR Support claims not to sell or rent personal data to third parties.
- Alternatives: SelfDecode – get personalized health recommendations based on an analysis of up to 83 million genetic variants.
- Their services are available worldwide.
- Offers lifetime updates to the reports.
- The company does not offer a DNA test.
- The reports do not give personalized health recommendations.
- The reports are not very user-friendly.
- Scientific references are not included in all of the reports.
About MTHFR Support
MTHFR Support is a DNA analysis platform founded by current CEO Sterling Hill Erdei. The company aims to help make information about genetics and how it can affect people’s health widely available.
With headquarters in Louisiana, USA, their services are available around the world. MTHFRsupport.com boasts a following of thousands of people on social media.
Review of MTHFR Support Products & Features
MTHFR Support uses raw DNA data from companies such as 23andMe and Ancestry to identify SNPs that may affect health. Currently, the company does not offer DNA testing.
To get started, users need to go to the Sterling’s App tab on the website and upload their raw genetic files, as seen below. From here, the system generates genomic variant reports.
There are four reports available on the website.
- Variant Report: Examines up to 1,300 SNPs involved in various biological processes that can impact overall health. It includes information on eye health, detox, thyroid, and more.
- Excipient Report: Analyzes up to 500 SNPs related to excipiants, inactive substances that serve as a medium for a drug or other active substances.
- Methylation Report: Focuses on Methylation SNPs.
- COVID-19 Report: Investigates genes that are relevant to COVID-19 and gives information about how the body may respond to the virus.
The company provides a list of healthcare professionals who can help customers interpret their genetic results. They state that they are not associated with any of the practitioners on the website.
Review of MTHFR Support Reports
MTHFR Support’s reports are ready within a few minutes from the raw data upload. The results are delivered as an interactive online document, shown in the screenshot below.
The company presents the SNPs analyzed and personal genetic results. The reports also include biochemical pathway diagrams. They provide search and filtering tools to facilitate the navigation of the results.
For more information about each SNP, users can click on the ‘+’ sign beside each result, as seen below. The company includes a link to the SNPedia page about each variant and educational videos.
MTHFR Support discloses that their online platform is not optimized for mobile devices, and they recommend that users download a PDF version of the report for viewing on those devices.
The PDF report is presented similarly in a table format, shown below, but it does not include the filtering or search tools available on the online platform, nor does it provide any links to additional resources.
The reports do not offer any health recommendations, and they do not present a detailed explanation of the results.
If the user wishes to have their genetic results interpreted, the company advises them to seek the help of a healthcare provider. This interpretation service is not provided directly by MTHFR Support and it is not included in their prices.
The reports available on Sterling’s App are not user-friendly or easy-to-understand. If you want to get the most out of the complicated diagrams provided by MTHFR Support, you might need to have some deeper knowledge about biology and genetics.
Cost of MTHFR Support
The Variant report costs $30 and includes lifetime updates if the user acquired it after 2015. The Methylation and COVID-19 reports cost $15, and the Excipient Report is $10. You can purchase a bundle containing all the reports for $48.
Health Recommendations from MTHFR Support
MTHFR Support does not give any health recommendations in the reports. Despite analyzing over a thousand variants in one of the reports, Sterling’s App does not give you any guidance on how to address your genetic predispositions.
If you want to know what next steps to take based on your results, the company suggests that you consult with a healthcare professional to help with the interpretation of the reports.
Review of MTHFR Support Privacy & Data Security
MTHFR Support claims not to sell or rent personal information to third parties for marketing purposes. They may share personal data with service providers who are hired to perform services on their behalf.
The company stores raw genetic data to provide updates to the reports. They state that users can choose to delete their information at any time, in which case they can no longer guarantee future updates.
They maintain that they apply industry-standard encryption and authentication tools to protect personal information. Data may be stored, processed, and transferred between the countries in which they operate, but the company says they take reasonable precautions to protect it.
SelfDecode vs MTHFR Support
- SelfDecode delivers natural supplements, diet, and lifestyle suggestions based on your genes that you can implement right away. MTHFR Support does not provide health recommendations and advises users to consult with a healthcare professional to have their genetic results interpreted.
- SelfDecode tells you why they make each recommendation so that you can understand the science behind the suggestion. MTHFR Support does not give health recommendations in their reports.
- SelfDecode prioritizes recommendations based on their analysis of all the relevant genes instead of one gene at a time (through reports). MTHFR Support presents the reports in a standardized format.
- SelfDecode takes a holistic approach to give recommendations that are best for your genes AND the health topic. MTHFR Support analyzes several genes that impact different health aspects.
- SelfDecode has a team of over 60 highly skilled scientists, MDs, PhDs, NDs, and software engineers to make sure they deliver the most accurate and science-based health information. According to their website, MTHFR Support only has one nutrigenomic specialist on their team.
- SelfDecode is the most comprehensive and looks at more genes & SNPs (up to 83 million) to deliver the best analysis of genetic risks. MTHFR Support analyzes up to 1,300 genetic variants to generate the Variant report.
- SelfDecode supports everything with peer-reviewed scientific studies in their research and checks for contradicting information. MTHFR Support does not include scientific references in all reports.
- SelfDecode never sells your data or gives it away. MTHFR Support claims not to sell or rent personal information to third parties.
|Personalized & holistic health recommendations||Yes||No||Yes||
Genes & genetic variants analyzed
|Up to 83 million genetic variants||Up to 1,300 genetic variants||147 SNPs||80,000 genetic markers|
|Products||DNA testing, wellness reports, lab test analyzer, patient and provider options||DNA analysis and variant reports||DNA testing, genetic reports, and health recommendations||
DNA analysis app, health, traits, and drug response reports
Raw data access
|Cost (USD)||$97 – $389||$10 – $48||$295||
Prices are not disclosed
MTHFR Support Reviews
Online reviews for the company are scarce. 17 people on Facebook rated them 4.1 of 5. A few users are unimpressed with the fact that the variant reports do not include scientific references. However, other customers appreciate the amount of information provided and say the reports are well-presented.
Check out what people are saying about the company on Twitter.
Alternatives to MTHFR Support
SelfDecode: The best health-focused DNA test that delivers personalized diet, lifestyle, and supplement recommendations through a wide variety of detailed reports.
MTHFR Support Review Summary
MTHFR Support is a DNA analysis service focused on identifying genetic variants that may impact health and wellness. The company does not offer DNA testing and requires users to have access to their preexisting raw genetic files.
While the information provided in the reports can be valuable, they do not offer any health recommendations directly to the consumer. The company advises their customers to seek a healthcare provider to help with the interpretation of the results. The reports are limited in the sense that they do not deliver actionable insights to help people improve their lives.
If you want to further explore your genetics, you should check out SelfDecode. SelfDecode uses AI and machine learning to analyze up to 83 million genetic variants and gives personalized recommendations to help you optimize your health. Unlike MTHFR Support, SelfDecode gives genetic risk scores and provides guidance on how to address your health issues.
- Top 10 Sites To Upload Your Raw DNA Data
- How To Interpret Your 23andMe MTHFR Results
- StrateGene Review: Can DNA Analysis Help You Clean Your Genes?